New student, welcome!
Our warmest congratulations on getting accepted as a student in the University of Lapland! Welcome to your university and to the Student Union of the University of Lapland, LYY. From this website you’ll find information on what LYY is and how you can gain the most from LYY’s services. Below here, there are a few useful things to consider when starting your student life.
You can become more familiar with LYY’s work here (linkki). Behind the link there is all the information on what the student union is and how it works. We especially recommend you to check out your future subject association’s website. Your own subject association will guide you through the first couple of weeks and introduce you and the student life to each other. You subject association will be your biggest support as you begin your study path.
So you’ve received the letter of admission and read the directions on enrolling the university. All students must enroll in order to officially become students at the university. Along with your enrollment, you’ll pay the membership fee to the student union and become a member of LYY. Remember to take care of your enrollment on time because you have to pay the re-enrollment price if you miss the registration time.
More information on enrollment can be found from the web page of the University of Lapland (linkki).
The enrollment is done in WebOodi (linkki). The enrollment to the next study year opens in the end of every spring.
Applying for financial aid
Probably the easiest way to fill the application for financial aid or study grant is online in the web page of KELA (linkki). It’s a good idea to send the application early because KELA can decide to deposit you the study grant only from the beginning of the month the application was sent. So, if you start your studies in August but apply for financial aid in October, KELA’s decision only covers for October and the upcoming months mentioned in the written decision letter. More information on applying for financial aid can be found e.g. from the website of the university.
The student card
You can get a student card once you’ve enrolled and paid the membership fee. With the student card you get dozens of student benefits! The student card is also crucial in getting your lunch with a student discount price at the campus. Additionally, the student card will provide you a discount price for traveling by train or by bus.
There is also a digital student card that you can use right away by getting the Frank (linkki) app.
Getting an apartment
Student accommodation in Rovaniemi is handled by the Domus Arctica – foundation (linkki). In the DAS website you can see what kind of student housing they have and apply for an apartment. Individual landlords offer their aparments for rent for instance via LYY’s dedicated website for aparment renting.
When you are unsure of something, don’t hesitate to contact LYY’s office either via email lyy(at)lyy.fi or by calling +358 44 787 5670.
The new students’ checklist
- Download the digital student card to your phone. It’s usable right away and will offer numerous benefits for you to enjoy!
- Get the sport pass. It makes several sports possibilities available for a discount price.
- Get the university electronic key. The e-key makes it possible to enter the university almost 24/7. It also enables you to enter the library when it’s closed and to do electronic exams in the EXAM- rooms. The janitors provide the e-keys.
- Download the Tuudo app (linkki) to your phone. From Tuudo you can find everything related to your studies. The campus restaurants update their lunch lists in Tuudo aswell.
- Get the University of Lapland library card (linkki). The librarians will hand it to you straight away at their service desk. The card is usable in the library of the university of applied sciences, too.
- Find the LYY’s new student’s guide. It is full of useful information for the beginning of your studies.
- Hit the like button in LYY’s Facebook page (linkki) to keep updated in the news of the student community.
- The most awesome photos and videos of LYY can be found on Instagram!(linkki)
- Communicate with your tutors and become an active member of your subject association. That’s how you will find a lot of new friends and a quick help to every problem you might have.
- Enjoy your studies, because studying is the best time of one’s life!