The membership of the Student Union requires enrollment to the university and paying the membership fee. By paying the fee, you get all the student services and benefits in the city. The fee also includes the health services by the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS). For both doctoral and exchange students membership fee is voluntary to pay. Please note that all the student discounts are not eligible for doctoral students (see more information below).
PAYING THE FEE
The enrollment and the payment of the Student Union membership for the freshmen are done via WebOodi. More information on the enrollment can be found on the university’s website . Once you have paid the fee, you have to fetch the new semester sticker for your student card from LYY’s office or LYY’s campus service desk. In case you use Frank’s digital student card, you don’t have to get the sticker. The fee is paid every year. The amounts of the fee for the study year 2019-20:
Study year 110 euros (incl. FSHS-payment 57 eur)
Fall semester 58 euros (incl. FSHS-payment 28,50 eur)
Spring semester 59 euros (incl. FSHS-payment 28,50 eur)
Study year 53 euros (no FSHS-payment)
Fall semester 29,50 euros (no FSHS-payment)
Spring semester 30,50 euros (no FSHS-payment)
Please note that doctoral students get discount on lunch price at Lovisa (special price: 5,60€). By buying the membership fee doctoral students will get Frank´s discounts in Finland but they are not eligible for a student discount on train and bus tickets.
You can also pay for the sports pass if you will (39 eur/study year or 28 eur/fall or spring semester). More information on the sports passport in here.
If you have registered yourself as a present student and have paid the membership fee, you can get yourself a semester sticker to your student card from the LYY’s customer service point or from the office at Ahkiomaantie. You can also have your student card as in digital version too, which you can find from FRANK or TUUDO applications. Your information will be updated couple of days after the payment.
If you want the semester sticker to your student card, but you are not in Rovaniemi, you can also send us your student card. Please don’t send us a student card with a payment feature! When posting your student card, follow these steps:
- Put your student card and an return envelope with your address and stamp on it into another envelope.
- Send the envelope to this address: Lapin yliopiston ylioppilaskunta, Ahkiomaantie 23B, 96300 ROVANIEMI
NOTE! We don’t send the semester sticker alone in any circumstances. We can only send the sticker, when it has been put on to the student card.
You can also get the semester sticker from another Student Union! In this case you always have to inform us beforehand so that we can send your information to the right Student Union. Follow these steps:
- Send e-mail to lyy(at)lyy.fi and tell your name, your student number and tell us the Student Union, where you’d like to pick up the semester sticker
- We will send your information to the other Student Union and we’ll inform you, when to pick up the semester sticker.
- The other Student Union will ask for 5€ payment for handling the semester sticker process.
You can get the sticker from every Student Union, except from the Student Union of the University of Helsinki and from Svenska Handelhögskolans Studentkår.
THE FEE RETURN POLICY
The Student Union membership fee can be returned in certain cases. Whether the Student Union returns the fee for the whole study year, for one semester or only for the part that covers the FSHF services depends on the situation of the student applying for the return of the fee. A person who has paid their fee AND graduates before 1.8.2019 will be returned the amount of the whole fee. If one has paid the fee for the study year within the registration time and they graduate during the fall semester, they will be paid the fee for the spring semester (56 eur). A person who has paid the fee within the registration time and then announced to be absent also within the registration time will be paid the fee back for the time they are absent. If one has paid their membership fee for more than one student unions, LYY can return the price of the FSHS services if the University of Lapland was the last recipient the fee was deposited to.
Do as follows:
1. Print and fill the application for the return of the membership fee . Take the application with the attachments to the University of Lapland student services , where the missing parts of the application file will be filled.
The required attachments:
- If you apply for the return of the FSHS payment, the receipts of the deposit that was made to each student union are required.
- If you announce to be absent right after you’ve enrolled or if you graduate, attach the receipt but also your student card (if you have a semester sticker on it) and a return envelope (with your name, address and a stamp on it).
The application has to be delivered in the student union by 30.9. for the fall semester and by 31.1. for the spring semester. Incomplete applications or applications that are sent after the deadline will not be dealt with. The fees aren’t returned retroactively, so the application must be delivered within the study year or semester in question.